Rooted 2021: Framework and Education For Creating an Antiracist Environment for Children
Time & Location
About the Event
The guiding principles of Black Lives Matter at School are pro-active, not reactive, and offer a framework for building a more just society; young children are primed to learn about them. In this six-week course, you’ll learn about U.S. history and how our “peculiar institution” of slavery has reverberations that have echoed for the past 400 years; explore alternatives to the systems that uphold white supremacy; and, of course, learn about how to talk to your children or students about Black Lives Matter and what they can do to make the world a better place. Yes, there will be homework (there's a lot to cover), but no, there will be no grades. We'll be meeting on Tuesdays, 8-9:30PM, EST; classes begin 2/23, with an optional gathering for live participants 2/16. All tiers include a discounted copy of WHAT WE BELIEVE: A Black Lives Matter Principles Activity Book.
Session 1 - An Introduction to Black Lives Matter at School: Why Now?
- Black Lives Matter at School
- US History and the Social Contract
Systems - What They Are and Why they Matter
The Guiding Principles
- Collective Value & Unapologetically Black
Session 2 - Abolition, Imagination, and Using Children’s Literature
- Black Lives Matter at School - Demands
- Policing in the US
- Empathy, Diversity, & Restorative Justice
Session 3 - Intersectionality and Identity
- Some Black Women You Should Know About
- Black Women & Transgender Affirming
Session 4 - Families, Fairness, and Intergenerational Wealth
- Reconstruction and Redlining
- Black Families & Intergenerational
Session 5 - Imperialism, Exceptionalism, and Interrupting the Narrative
- The Myth of American Exceptionalism
- Alternative Narratives
- Loving Engagement & Globalism
Session 6 - Dreaming into the Future(s)
What future do we imagine for our children?
- Queer Affirming & Black Villages
1 hourRooting Ourselves: A Introductory Meeting for Live Participants
1 hour 30 minutesSession 1 - An Introduction to Black Lives Matter at School: Why Now?
- Live - I'm here to do the work$450$4500$0
- Co-Conspirator (Asynchronous)$450+$11.25 Service fee$450+$11.25 Service fee0$0
- Asynchronous Accomplice$300+$7.50 Service fee$300+$7.50 Service fee0$0
- Asynchronous Educator$150$1500$0